The Local Road Research Board has funded 26 new research and implementation projects to address issues facing the Minnesota transportation community, including the impacts of complete streets and the re-use of waste materials in sustainably designed soils.
City and county engineers proposed over 100 ideas for possible funding in 2022. In addition to the 15 academic research projects, the LRRB funded 11 consultant proposals through its research implementation program.
“We are very excited about this year’s new research projects,” said Jim Foldesi, LRRB board chair. “We appreciate the valuable input we’ve received from city and country transportation practitioners throughout Minnesota and hope you stay involved by serving on a technical advisory panel or signing up for project alerts.”
To receive email updates about a specific project, “subscribe” to the project webpage below.
If you are interested in volunteering for a technical advisory panel, please email email@example.com.
2021 LRRB Research and Implementation Projects
- Re-Use of Minnesota Waste Material in Sustainably Design Soils: Part 2*
- Update of Storm Water Management – Best Practices Manual (from 2009)
- Tire Derived Aggregate (TDA): Light Weight Fill and as Stormwater Infiltration Media
- Best Practices for Dust Control/Issues with Calcium Chloride
- Boulevard Tree Selection – Best Practices
Materials & Construction
- Evaluation of Gravel Stabilizer Used on Gravel Roads and Gravel Shoulders*
- Improving and Developing Pavement Design Inputs and Performance Functions for Cold Recycled Pavement Layers in Minnesota*
- Mitigation of Tenting of Transverse Cracks and Joints in Asphalt Pavement
- Asphalt Pavement Cracking Performance Data Analysis*
- Pavement Design Around Utilities – Best Practices
Policy & Planning
- Haul Road and Detour Maintenance*
- Understanding How Street Reconstruction Affects Property Value
- Asset Management Tools for Local Governments
- Evaluating Local Funding in Regional Projects
- Right of Way Acquisition Issues
- Using Apps to Notify the Public of Local Road and Bridge Closures
Traffic & Safety
- Complete Streets Speed Impacts*
- Development of a System to Report School Bus Stop-Arm Violations*
- Evaluation of Static and Dynamic No Right Turn on Red Signs at Traffic Signals*
- Identification and Assessment of Preventative Methods to Mitigate Cognitive and Physical Declines Which Influence Driving Performance of Older Drivers*
- Towards Implementation of Max-Pressure Control on Minnesota Roads: Phase 2
- Development and Demonstration of a Novel Red Light Running Warning System Using Connected v2i Technology
- Mini Roundabout FAQs
- Residential Roadway Width – Best Practices
- Pedestrian Safety Around Roundabouts
*Indicates joint funding by the Local Road Research Board and State Research Program. See MnDOT website for additional research projects, funded solely by the state research program.