The LRRB research process is as follows:
- Ideas are gathered from city and county engineers at annual State Aid pre-screening meetings.
- Ideas are prioritized and developed into problem statements.
- The LRRB board solicits research proposals from researchers and consultants.
- The LRRB Board reviews and selects proposals for funding.
- A work plan is developed for winning proposals.
- A Technical Advisory Panel (TAP) is formed.
- Research is completed.
- A final report is published.
- An implementation plan is developed by the TAP.