In 2016, the LRRB published a Transportation Research Synthesis “Mitigating Frost Dips Over Newly Installed Centerline Culverts (PDF).” It gathered the following information via a survey of 24 northern states and Canadian Provinces:
- General observations about frost dips.
- Practices that increase the likelihood of frost dips.
- Practices to reduce or eliminate frost dips.
- Use of insulation to reduce or eliminate frost dips.
- Other respondent feedback.
This task will develop a resource to implement the results of this TRS, possibly including a video.
Note: The LRRB co-funded a video (along with MnDOT, ASCE, US Army Corps of Engineers) on frost damage in pavements in 2013.